Sunday 24 May 2015

Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Communication

To the present day, people are non stop on their phones, zoning out of the things around them. People are on their non stop, on dates, talking to other people and even texting while driving. This proves that we have no self control when it comes to technology. It keeps us up all night and distracted to the things that matter most to us such as work and sleep. 

Technology has been advancing rapidly. The developments of smart phones, Siri and now the Google glasses. Soon these technologic advances, will fully replace all the all the human and man tasks. However with the inventions such as the google glasses and cars that drive themselves, I find them very unnecessary. I even googled the use for these glasses, there is really no point having a phone in glasses form. What is the use for the invention of cars that can drive themselves? There can be so many errors that can lead to car crashes. Also being a kid, we dreamed of learning how to drive a car, but with the replacement of cars that can drive on it's own, learning to drive will be no use.

Jetsons (TV Series 1962-1988) was a cartoon show that had a family living in the future, with floating cars and robots that did everything us. In one episode, their nanny (the robot) had a technical error, which caused a lot of chaos which drove the family insane. I think this was trying to tell the audience to not rely on technology for everything makes mistakes.

http://freshome.com/2013/03/22/what-you-can-learn-from-the-jetsons-about-home-automation/
It shocks me to know that we did not have this at one time. When my parents tell me how stories of them how they grew up without any of these advances, I just stare at them and question how they survived. Yes, it is sad to admit that I can not go a day without my phone but I do know my limits. Technology does have it's useful purposes such as messaging someone by text message instead of writing letters, waiting months and months for a reply.

However, we are getting to comfortable with this type of communication that our generation forgets how to actually have a conversation with someone. Our future can just be interaction with other throw a screen, is what we dread most. Don't let keyboards and keypads be the be key to our future.

3 comments:

  1. I remember watching those t.v. shows when I was younger and thinking to myself if one day our lives would also be like that. As the years go on, technology keeps on improving with the possibilities being endless. Older people comment how our generation is becoming less social with phones always beside us. Would this mean easier lives or becoming lazier people? It is true that some people can become addicted and reach to the point that they cannot survive without it. I think that it is important to learn the balance between both and know how to use it wisely. Technology is made to help us, not something that controls us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on how technology is advancing rapidly and the unnecessary use of some technology like the Google Glasses and self-driving cars. It's amazing how fast technology is improving, it almost feels like in the blink of an eye we'll be seeing flying cars. I believe that technology is there to make our lives a bit more easier, however people should not depend on them as there are always malfunctions and errors. For example the self-driving cars, one malfunction and it could cost multiple lives. There should be a balance between both using technology and taking a break from them, that way us humans won't always have to rely on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I really find no point to Google Glasses other than they make you look Tech-savvy, lazy- since a Smartphone can do the pretty much the same things, and rich- since they’re really expensive! As for self-driving cars, I also agree with how you said there could be so many errors that may lead to car crashes. I also feel you wouldn’t have as much control as you would if you were to drive the car yourself. However, I do believe, but am not in agreement with how, these technological advancements may be the future of communication.

    ReplyDelete